Revelation’s Seven Trumpets
The end time’s discourse in the book of Revelation is delivered in several series of sevens. Each of the series of judgments ends with its seventh judgment expanding into the next series of seven judgments. In a previous blog post, we discussed the seven seals and now we see the seventh seal expanding into the seven trumpet judgments. Obviously, seven is an important number to God and we should take careful notice for the message.
The seventh seal expands into the seven trumpets, but just before this takes place, Revelation 8:1 states, “When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour. There has been lots of discussion about the significance of this verse; since it is unusual, it does receive a lot of attention. The best explanation I’ve heard for it is that the judgments to come are so awesome, heaven pauses in silence as if to catch its breath before the unleashing of the Wrath of God in the final half of the tribulation.
Verses 3 and 4 of Revelation 8 mention the prayers of the saints. It’s important for us to note here that God sees our prayers with not only importance, but our prayers play a part in end time events. We can never pray too much. Prayer positions us into heaven’s throne room where God values our discourse and responds to us. It’s His communication style we seek in order to fulfill His will of “on earth as it is in heaven.” Our mission is to bring heaven to earth and prayer is the kingdom’s communication.
Verse 5 shows a warning poured out on earth with noises, thunderings, lightnings, and an earthquake just before the seven angels prepared themselves to sound. The Lord is gracious to always send warnings before judgments.
- First Trumpet- Hail and fire mingled with blood destroy a third of all the earth’s vegetation.
- Second Trumpet- A volcano-like eruption destroys a third of ocean life and a third of all ships on the water
- Third Trumpet- A possible asteroid destroys fresh water supplies. The Greek word for Wormwood means a bitter, poisonous herb. Jeremiah 9:1-15 gives more detail to this event.
- Fourth Trumpet- The sun and moon will each become a third darker and a third of the stars will fail to shine. Also, night will increase by a third shortening daylight hours by a third.
The Lord releases yet another warning in the form of an angel who flies announcing, “Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three angels who are about to sound!”
- Fifth Trumpet, First Woe- An angel of woe is assigned to open the bottomless pit and to unleash deadly locust-scorpion creatures who sting and torment for five months the inhabitants of the earth. The pain is so severe that they wish to die, but that privilege is removed. Only those with the seal of God are protected and the wicked creatures avoid them.
- Sixth Trumpet, Second Woe- Four angels are released to destroy a third of mankind. These may well be the angels reserved in everlasting chains of darkness for the judgment of the great day as described in Jude 6 and 2 Peter 2:4. These wicked angels orchestrate an army of two hundred million to unleash the three plagues of fire, smoke, and brimstone which kill a third of all mankind. This army is probably not spiritual, but literal and most prophecy teachers say this is an eastern army coalition composed of China and probably North Korea. The writers of the left behind Series, Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins interpret this army to be spiritual beings moving to attack.
The red and yellow colors (fire=red, brimstone=yellow) described here easily describe the Chinese flag. Isaiah provides some insight into the slaughter of mankind during this terrible time on earth:
Therefore, a curse devours the earth, and those who live in it are held guilty. Therefore, the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men are left. Isaiah 24:6
I will make mortal man scarcer than pure gold, and mankind than the told of Ophir. Isaiah 13:12
Even with all of this, Revelation 9:20 and 21 still describe mankind remaining unrepentant. The Greek word for “sorceries” is pharmakea from which we get our word pharmacy. This indicates that along with murders, sexual immorality, and thievery, man also involves himself in drugs. These are end time signs shouting to us we are in the last days, yet for many, they go ignored and remain accepted as part of everyday life.
The seventh trumpet, and Third Woe, will expand into seven thunders, and just as John was about to write down what judgments the thunders would bring, “but I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, ‘Seal up the things which the seven thunders uttered, and do not write them’” (Revelation 10:4). Apparently, based on the following verses, the judgments of the seven thunders will happen quickly, but will not be revealed until the seventh angel sounds the seventh trumpet.
The Third Woe is the casting of Satan to the earth eliminating his freedoms in the atmospheres above (Revelation 12:12). He comes to earth in wrath knowing his time is short.
The penalty and judgment for the sin nature is removed by Jesus Christ who paid the price for mankind suffering as our substitute. He’s made us free from sin, the nature of Satan.
You have a choice. Remain as you are and face the destiny described above, or accept Christ’s substitutionary work, suffering on the cross, for you. All you have to do is invite Him into your life, and turn your life to Him and His way.
that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10
For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Romans 10:13
Visit our Roman Road page here.
Image Credit: http://mrg.bz/2uLV5B
We reserve the right to delete comments that are snippy, offensive, or off-topic. For more, read Prophecy Dude’s Comments Policy